School Services of California Inc. (SSC) has one of the strongest legislative teams in Sacramento due to our team's exceptional knowledge of the legislative process, combined with an in-depth understanding of K-14 statutes and regulations, the State Budget process, and cutting-edge policy issues. Our team acts quickly and effectively on behalf of clients, keeping them informed of all legislative decisions.
Whether helping to solve a client's unique legislative problem or working with coalitions to impact major statewide education policy and fiscal matters, SSC advocates are regarded as key participants in the legislative process and reliable sources of factual information. This reputation, along with more than four decades of collective experience and a diverse network of contacts, enhances SSC's ability to help clients meet their legislative objectives.
The SSC lineup is considered the premier team of K-14 Governmental Relations in Sacramento. Over the last four decades, there has been no other organization that has had such a lasting impact on education policy. The SSC team, which also consists of members of the organization’s consulting unit, has been at the forefront of almost all of the major school finance developments over the last 40+ years. SSC advocates have played a significant role in initiatives such as revenue limit equalization, special education funding reform, categorical reform and flexibility, audit reform, school business official training, class-size flexibility, and mandate reform. Because of our long-standing reputation as knowledgeable representatives of K-12 education and community colleges, we serve as a trusted resource for legislators and legislative staff.
As term limits make an ever-increasing impact on the way business is done under the Capitol dome, SSC's technical expertise and reputation for solid policy and budget analysis are increasingly valuable to the Legislature. In addition, SSC advocates have many contacts throughout the executive branch and in the Department of Education, making their efforts on your behalf even more effective.
Coalitions Supported by SSC:
- Schools for Sound Finance—advocating on behalf of community funded school districts
- Coalition for Adequate Funding for Special Education—advocating for increased special education funding
- CTE JPA Coalition—advocating for joint powers authority (JPA) providers of career technical education (CTE)
- Education Mandated Cost Network—advocating mandate reform and prompt state reimbursements
- CalSTRS Funding Coalition—advocating for a fair allocation of state apportionment to fund the increasing costs of STRS rates on district employers
- California School Funding Coalition—advocating for overall increased school funding
Just a Few of the Successful Legislative Changes Led by SSC
- Revenue Limit Equalization—Developed funding formula through legislation and sought funding in the state budget
- Categorical Program Flexibility—Designed and advocated a bill to consolidate and simplify funding streams
- Special Education—Advocated for simplification of the funding model and more funding in the state budget
- Supplemental Instruction—Advocated for increased reimbursement rates and removal of some caps
- Audit Reform—Developed a process and structure for the school agency audit process
- Class-Size Reduction—Fought for greater operational flexibility to implement lower class sizes and reduce penalties
For more information about how SSC can partner with your agency to meet a specific need, please contact us.